300 b Hardwiring

Hello again, solder fans. Welcome to another episode of Adventures In Kit Building.

The next step in our Audio Note Kit 1 build is assembling and soldering the hard-wired components of the 300 B driver tubes.

The “TAG strip” pictured below comes in a much longer than needed size, so your first task is trimming the length to contain the correct number of connectors, plus 1, and then popping out that extra connector to create a hole for the screw at the other end. (That last bit took me some time to figure out…) Here’s how it looks in its seat of honor, attached to two of the hex spacers we installed between the 300 B sockets near the beginning of the build.


These bad boys are wire-wound resistors. I took a photo of this part because it necessitates wiring them in parallel, which means piggy-backing them like so before soldering them in to their proper place. It occurred to me that somebody who already made jewelry would have a field day building this kit. Many of the requisite skills are the same!


And, Bob’s your uncle, here’s what the TAG strip looks like all finished and in place. The huge, brown dudes are electrolytic capacitors, the paired “Tootsie Rolls” are, as mentioned, wire-wound resistors, and the little green guys are Takman resistors. There are also bits of black connecting wire – some visible in this photo and some, running under components, not visible here. I had to write to Brian to ask how to connect the various leads and wires to the pins on those pretty valve sockets and it turned out to be nothing too difficult: “tin” the valve base pin with solder, “tin” the lead or wire as well, wrap the lead round the pin and affix with some heat and a bit more solder.


In the next installment, I’m going to include a little survey of the basic tools that I think you’d need to assemble this kit in its entirety. Don’t worry. There are only a few of them and they are available at very low cost, but you do want to have the right tools to make the build go smoothly.

Next, we’ll be working on populating our first PCB with components: The Driver Board. And here’s a partially completed Driver Board photo to whet your appetite:


Now that’s what I call “audio jewelry!” 🙂

Until next time…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s